Summer Vegetable Egg Bake
Looking for a seasonal twist on a traditional egg bake? Your whole family will love this egg bake from Twin Cities food blogger greens & chocolate. It’s packed with garden veggies and will have everyone lining up for seconds.
With all of the fresh, seasonal produce this time of year, I love filling our meals with as many vegetables as possible. Breakfast tends to be the most difficult meal for us to sneak in those veggies, but I’ve created the most delicious way to enjoy the best produce summer has to offer. This Summer Vegetable Egg Bake has all of my favorite summer vegetables and herbs, including summer squash, zucchini, corn, red onion, tomatoes and basil. There is so much flavor in this egg bake from just the vegetables alone!
Another highlight of this summer breakfast casserole is it’s super easy to make. The recipe starts with a crescent roll sheet. I use the canned, refrigerated kind which is a breeze to unroll and press into the baking pan. The flaky crescent roll layers hold up perfectly to the vegetables and egg filling and I enjoy the buttery flavor it adds to the casserole.
This Summer Vegetable Egg Bake is a vegetarian dish, but don’t worry! The flavor from the vegetables, fresh basil and crumbled goat cheese are enough to make even the biggest meat eater forget about bacon. Of course, you can add some crumbled bacon if you must because — let’s be honest — bacon is never a bad idea. However, let it be known this meatless breakfast casserole is hearty enough for any hungry breakfast-eater!
This egg bake is a great dish to make for a summer weekend breakfast, brunch or lunch. We’ve eaten it at all times of the day, warm and at room temperature, and each time it was delicious. This means you can even make it for a leisurely picnic by the lake or an easy summer weeknight dinner.
6 to 8 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
8 ounce crescent roll sheet (1 can)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small zucchini, diced
1 small summer squash, diced
¼ cup diced red onion
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
½ cup frozen corn (can also use sweet corn, cut off the cob)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
6 L&B Large Eggs
⅓ cup milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400 F. Spray a 9×13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- Roll out the crescent roll into the baking dish. Press it lightly into the pan to stick. The short sides will go up the sides a bit, but the long sides most likely won’t, and that’s okay. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, summer squash and red onion, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until softened, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, corn and basil, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on top of the crescent roll. Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese on top of the vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Pour the eggs on top of the vegetables and cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until slightly golden brown on top and no longer jiggly. Serve topped with additional fresh basil. Enjoy!