4 years ago
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
A delicious blend of summer zucchini, tomatoes and herbs, paired with seasoned ground turkey and quinoa.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
1 ¾ pounds medium-sized zucchini
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
1 pound ground turkey
¾ cup onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced (divided)
⅓ cup currants (okay to substitute raisins)
1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt (divided)
1 ¼ pounds fresh Roma tomatoes
¾ cup cooked L&B Quinoa (¼ cup uncooked)
⅓ cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped (divided)
⅓ cup fresh dill, chopped (divided)
¾ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated (divided)
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Trim zucchini ends. Halve lengthwise and scoop out inner flesh with a spoon or melon baller, leaving a “boat” for the stuffing. Finely chop the scooped-out flesh and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, sauté 2 tablespoons oil, reserved chopped zucchini, ground turkey, onion, minced garlic (reserve 1 teaspoon), currants and 1 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes until liquid is evaporated and turkey is thoroughly cooked.
- Halve tomatoes, remove core, and put in blender or food processor with ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining garlic. Puree on high until completely smooth.
- Coat a 9×13 baking pan with remaining olive oil. Pour tomato sauce in pan.
- Combine the ground turkey mixture with cooked quinoa, herbs (reserve 1 tablespoon of each herb), ½ cup cheese and ½ teaspoon of pepper; mix well. Spoon mixture into the zucchini boats and arrange on top of tomato sauce in baking pan. Top with any remaining meat and quinoa mixture.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes. Garnish with remaining herbs and cheese and serve.