Stuffed Squash with Chorizo & Quick-Cook Quinoa
- 2 acorn or butternut squash
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ pound chorizo , (see note)
- 1 8-ounce package R&R Cultivation mushrooms, mix of choice
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 package quick-cook quinoa blend of choice (suggest Spanish style, brown rice & red bean quinoa blend, garlic & chickpea quinoa blend, quinoa & brown rice blend)
- 2 tablespoons Just Date Syrup
Heat oven to 375 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Cut the squash in half and remove seeds and stringy bits. Season the cut sides with salt and pepper, then drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place cut side down on the lined sheet pan. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
While the squash is in the oven, heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add chorizo to the pan and brown until fully cooked. Add mushrooms and green onions, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Prepare quinoa blend following package instructions. Add quinoa blend to sauté pan with mushroom-green onion mixture. Stir to combine.
Once squash is fork tender (see note), fill with quinoa mix, drizzle with date syrup and enjoy!
Note: For a plant-based option, substitute plant-based “meat” for the chorizo.
If squash is not fork tender after 30 minutes in the oven, turn cut side up and fill with quinoa mix, then loosely cover with foil and bake for another 30 minutes.