Spaghetti Squash with Braised Cranberries and Arugula Blue Cheese Salad
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup bacon, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1 cup red onion, julienne
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 3 ounces arugula
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 425 F. Remove the seeds from both halves of the squash and rub 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper both inside and out. Bake for 45 minutes. While the squash is baking, prepare the cranberry sauce. Begin by rendering bacon in a small sauce pan over medium heat until the bacon becomes crispy. Then add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add cranberries and arrowroot. Stir constantly until cranberries begin to break up. Remove from heat and fold in honey.
- Remove squash from oven and pour cranberry sauce into cavity of squash. Using a fork, lightly pull inner lining of squash to expose strands. Toss arugula, pecans and blue cheese in a small salad bowl with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Place arugula salad over top of cranberries.
- Presented by Executive Chef Michael Selby, Oct. 17, 2013, on WCCO-TV
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.