It’s everything you love about s’mores, minus the campfire! These delicious cookie bars from Twin Cities food blogger greens & chocolate are the perfect dessert to bring to your next potluck or barbecue.
As we sail through spring and approach summer, I can’t help but get excited for a few things. For one, warmer weather. While I embrace winter in Minnesota and everything it has to offer, I live for 80-degree days and the sun beating down on my shoulders. Goodbye cozy sweaters, nightly cups of hot tea and heavy jackets, and helloooooo sundresses, sandals and drinks on the patio!
With the warmer weather also comes grilling season and who doesn’t love grilling season?! It makes dinnertime so easy and even though I do love a good tater tot casserole, I love the light and fresh flavors of summer even more.
Another thing I’m excited about? Bonfires at night. And, of course, the s’mores that come with them. Since we don’t have a fire pit at our house yet, bonfires and s’mores are something we pretty much only have when we’re at the cabin. Such a shame.
Luckily, I have a solution to each and every one of my unsatisfied s’mores cravings: S’mores Blondies!
Let me assure you, these are not just a blondie recipe with marshmallow and Hershey’s chocolate in it. Definitely not. I went a step further and added crushed graham crackers to the batter, making these taste even more like s’mores.
To make the blondies, you actually divide the batter in half and have a bottom layer of graham cracker blondie topped with marshmallow fluff and Hershey’s chocolate, and then a layer of graham cracker blondie on top. I figured this replicated s’mores even more, y’know?
While they don’t have one of my favorite parts of s’mores, which is the burnt part of the marshmallow, these still definitely satisfy that craving. They are just as gooey and sweet as the real deal!
Makes 24 bars
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs (about two sleeves)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 4 Hershey’s milk chocolate bars
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the two shorter sides.
- Grease the foil with butter or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy with electric mixer, about 1 minute.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and beat until combined.
- Evenly press half the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Drop the marshmallow creme by spoonfuls onto the dough and spread into an even layer.
- Layer Hershey’s chocolate bars. Note: I broke the chocolate bars into the little rectangles and randomly scattered them on top of the marshmallow creme.
- Drop the remaining cookie dough onto the surface in clumps, then flatten them slightly. You don’t need to worry about smoothing the dough over the entire surface, as there will be some open areas where the chocolate and marshmallow are exposed.
- Top with chocolate chips, lightly pressing them into the dough.
- Bake the bars for 30-35 minutes, or until golden-brown. Let them cool in the pan completely, then lift them out by the foil and slice into squares. Enjoy!