smoky red pepper soup with pumpkin seeds and feta
Reprinted with permission from Vibrant Food written and photographed by Kimberley Hasselbrink
40 min serves 4
3 lb red bell peppers (4 to 6 peppers)
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground chipotle chili powder
4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 c raw, shelled pumpkin seeds
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Arrange peppers in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil 6 to 8 inches from heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every few minutes, until peppers are mostly blackened. Remove from broiler and set aside to cool.
3. When peppers are cool enough to handle, remove skins under running water. Pull stems from peppers and rinse out seeds. Coarsely chop peppers and set aside.
4. Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large stockpot. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Stir in the sweet and smoked paprika, salt, and chipotle powder. Add broth and peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. In a small pan over medium heat, add remaining 1 teaspoon of oil. Add pumpkin seeds and cumin and sauté until toasted, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring regularly. Set aside.
6. Purée soup using an immersion blender or food processor. To serve, top each bowl with pumpkin seeds and feta cheese.
Per serving: 264 Calories, 11 g Protein, 29 g Carbohydrates, 8 g Fiber, 13 g Total fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono, 3 g poly), 327 mg Sodium