3 years ago
Slow Cooker Whiskey-Molasses Shredded Beef
Beef roast slow cooked in a sweet and savory sauce until fork-tender, served with a crisp carrot and apple slaw.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + 6-10 hours in the slow cooker
- 1 beef bottom round roast or beef chuck center roast (2 ½ to 3 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup whiskey
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 cups each shredded carrots and diced Granny Smith apple
- Place cubed roast in a 4 ½ to 5 ½-quart slow cooker.
- Combine whiskey, ¼ cup vinegar, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, molasses, salt and pepper; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low 8-10 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Skim fat from sauce as needed. Return beef to slow cooker.
- To make the slaw: Combine remaining 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and mustard in large bowl. Add carrots and apples; mix well. Season with salt and black pepper as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve beef with slaw.
Recipe source: Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner.