Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Pineapple Relish
Pork roast slow-cooked to perfection, served on buns and topped with a tropical-inspired pineapple relish. A sweet and savory twist on pulled pork sandwiches that your whole family will love!
1 boneless pork butt or shoulder (about 5 pounds)
L&B Island Breeze Seasoning
1 cup sliced onion
2 cups water or chicken stock
Grilled Pineapple Relish:
Oil for grilling or sautéing
1 fresh pineapple, skinned, cored and cut into 1-inch slices
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
½ red onion, diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the roast pork:
- In a skillet over high heat, sear the pork on all sides until fully browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium and add 1 cup of sliced onions to the skillet. Cook until softened and translucent.
- To the skillet, add cherry tomatoes and L&B Island Breeze Seasoning. Increase heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add the water or stock to the skillet, scraping the bottom of pan to deglaze.
- Add the onion-tomato mixture to the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until pork is cooked through and tender. Pull apart with two forks or chop.
For the pineapple salsa:
- Brush each side of the pineapple slices with oil.
- Grill or sauté until dark grill marks appear or pineapple becomes glazed and dark brown, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Chop the pineapple and add it to a bowl with cilantro, ginger, lime juice, jalapeño and onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted from Food Network