Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
Tender, flavorful shredded pork made easy in the slow cooker. Makes enough for a crowd!
Preparation time: 8 hours
1 (6- to 8-pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
8 whole cloves garlic, smashed
4 chipotle peppers (canned or dried)
1 (14- or 15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 to 3 cups liquid (orange juice, beer, stock or a combination)
- Trim any excess fat from the pork.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours, or until the meat is so tender it’s falling apart.
- Let the pork cool enough to handle, then remove from slow cooker and place in a large bowl. Shred the meat with two forks (or by hand). You will end up with about 10 cups of meat.
- Skim the fat from the leftover juices in the slow cooker and save the liquid for reheating your meat later, if desired, to help keep it moist.
- To make carnitas tacos, serve the meat in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings, such as sour cream, cilantro, radishes, pineapple, chopped red onion and lime wedges.