Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
In the mood for Indian food – but not in the mood for takeout? This Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala simmers all day in your slow cooker to create a creamy, spicy dinner that everyone in your family will love.
2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch chunks
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 (29 ounce) can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust according to your heat preference)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Juice of ½ lemon
- Lightly grease the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except for bay leaves, coconut milk, cornstarch and lemon juice in a large bowl. Stir to combine, making sure the chicken is well coated.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and place the two bay leaves on top.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).
- When done, in a small bowl combine coconut milk and cornstarch and gently stir into the slow cooker chicken mixture. Let cook an additional 20 minutes to thicken up.
- Add lemon juice and gently stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm. Delicious with hot rice or naan. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe source: The Iron You