Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
In the mood for Indian food – but not in the mood for takeout? This Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala simmers all day in your slow cooker to create a creamy, spicy dinner that everyone in your family will love.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 (29 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust according to your heat preference)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Lightly grease the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except for bay leaves, coconut milk, cornstarch and lemon juice in a large bowl. Stir to combine, making sure the chicken is well coated.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and place the two bay leaves on top.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).
- When done, in a small bowl combine coconut milk and cornstarch and gently stir into the slow cooker chicken mixture. Let cook an additional 20 minutes to thicken up.
- Add lemon juice and gently stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm. Delicious with hot rice or naan. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe source: The Iron You