Sloppy Joe Mac & Cheese
- For the sauce:
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
- For the pasta and the remainder of the dish:
- 2 cups dry rotini (or any spiral-shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat up the vegetable oil. Add the onion, green bell pepper and garlic. Sauté until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the ground beef to the skillet and break it up with your spatula or wooden spoon. Cook until ground beef is thoroughly cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the sauce to the skillet, then add the pasta (drained of excess water). Add the cheese on top. Turn the heat down to medium-low and toss the mixture until the cheese has melted and the ingredients are evenly coated and distributed throughout. Serve warm.