- 2 pounds medium (28 to 34 total) raw, shelled and deveined shrimp
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- ½ cup water
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ to ¾ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups long-grain rice, cooked according to package instructions
- Snipped fresh parsley, for garnish
Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels.
Heat oil in a heavy 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven.
Sauté onion, green pepper, celery and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, water, bay leaves, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in shrimp; continue to simmer until shrimp turn opaque, 3 to 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
To serve, spoon shrimp Creole over cooked rice and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
This recipe is brought to you by The Best of Byerly’s cookbook. Originally printed in 1985, the cookbook includes hundreds of popular recipes for all types of foods, tastes and cooking styles. If you love this recipe, check out the entire cookbook!