Sheet-Pan Roasted Sausages with Peppers & Onions
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into ¼-inch-wide strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into ¼-inch-wide strips
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for sprinkling
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound sausages, pricked with a fork
- ½ teaspoons red wine vinegar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- Fresh arugula, for serving (optional)
- 2 ounces ricotta salata, crumbled (about ⅓ cup)
Heat oven to 400 F.
In a bowl, toss the peppers and onion with the oil, salt and black pepper. Spread the vegetables out in a single layer on a rimmed sheet pan and roast until they are tender but not caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.
Arrange the sausages on top of the peppers and onion; continue roasting until the peppers are caramelized and the sausages are cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. If the sausages and/or peppers are not browned enough at this point, you can slide the whole pan under the broiler for a minute or two. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the vinegar and the oregano.
Before serving, toss the peppers and onion with the vinegar mixture; taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary (it might need more vinegar if your onion is very sweet). If you are using the arugula, divide it among individual serving plates; sprinkle with a little olive oil and a few drops of red wine vinegar. Arrange the peppers, onions and sausages over the arugula. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve.