Shake Shack Pie Oh My Concrete
Shake Shack is a fast-food chain known for its delicious burgers and hot dogs, but is especially loved for its signature Concretes. Made with fresh-made frozen custard and blended with chunks of tasty mix-ins, they’re a must-have for summertime. And now Shake Shack has shared their exclusive Concrete recipe so you can make these creamy frozen treats at home!
Frozen Vanilla Custard
The master recipe for most of the Shake Shack Concretes.
Makes about 1 quart
Preparation time: 45 minutes + chilling time
5 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 ½ cups milk
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon good quality pure vanilla extract
- Put the egg yolks and sugar into a heavy medium sauce pan and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the cream and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the custard reaches a temperature of 170 F on an instant-read thermometer or is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Strain the custard into a medium bowl. Stir in the salt and vanilla. Set that bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice, then stir the custard frequently until it has cooled. Cover the custard and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 4 hours.
- Churn the custard in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. Scoop the custard into a quart container with a lid, cover and store in the freezer for at least 2 hours, until firm. Custard can be kept up to a month in the freezer.
Pie Oh My Concrete
Delicious made with your favorite pie! We used L&B Blueberry Pie in this recipe, but L&B Pecan Pie would be equally fantastic.
Preparation time: 30 minutes + chilling time
3-4 scoops Frozen Vanilla Custard (see recipe above)
1 slice L&B Blueberry Pie, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 cup whipped cream, optional
- Spoon the frozen vanilla custard into a medium bowl. Add the pie. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer the bowl to the freezer for at least 15 minutes and as long as 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, gently mash ingredients together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Spoon the Concretes into 2 dessert dishes, top with whipped cream, if desired, and serve.
Recipe source: Shake Shack Recipes & Stories