Seared Sirloin + Power Greens
This satisfying steak dinner is packed with nutrients. No grill required!
Preparation time: 5 hours, including marinating time
For the marinade
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Lunds & Byerlys Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- ⅓ cup good quality Cabernet Sauvignon
- ¼ teaspoon Lunds & Byerlys Sea Salt
- 1 ½ pound sirloin (such as grass-fed boneless sirloin steak) cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (substitute California Olive Ranch Olive Oil if avocado oil isn’t available)
- 4 tablespoons organic unsalted sweet-cream butter, divided
- 3 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups arugula, tightly packed and chopped
- Combine ground black pepper, red pepper flakes (if desired), garlic, rosemary, Bragg Liquid Aminos, wine and sea salt in a shallow container; add sirloin steak. Marinate the steak for 2-4 hours in the refrigerator, turning steak over midway through to soak up marinade on other side.
- Before cooking, let steak come to room temperature for 30 minutes. In the meantime, prep all your ingredients so they are ready.
- Heat your oven to 375 F and heat a wide seasoned cast iron skillet to medium-high (smoking hot) on the stovetop.
- Remove steak from marinade and, with butter knife, scrape off all bits and pieces of seasonings and put them back into marinade. Set the marinade aside for later use.
- Blot/dry the steak with a paper towel and season both sides with sea salt.
- Add oil to pan and swirl around to coat. Add steak to pan. Do not touch steak for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, flip steak using tongs and add 2 tablespoons of butter next to steak. Allow steak to cook for 3 more minutes. Using a spoon, constantly baste melted butter over steak for the full 3 minutes.
- Transfer pan to oven and set a timer for 4 minutes. Remove pan from oven at 3 minutes for rare, 4-5 minutes for medium rare and 7-8 minutes for medium well.
- Remove steak to a serving dish and tent with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the leftover marinade back into the skillet to deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Turn the heat back to medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons of butter plus the mushrooms and arugula. Allow to cook while steak is resting (10 minutes), stirring and turning the mixture throughout.
- Slice steak on the bias and serve over greens and mushrooms.
Calories: 270 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 85mg Sodium: 290mg Carbohydrate: 5g Fiber: 2g Sugars: 2g Protein: 27g
Nutrition content of this recipe is calculated by a registered dietitian nutritionist. Due to variations in ingredients and measurements, values are approximations. Nutrients provided for this recipe represent values based on the best available information. This information is not intended to treat or diagnose. Please consult your physician for diet recommendations specific to your personal needs.