Sea Salt & Vinegar Smashed Red Potatoes
Just like your favorite potato chips – but even better! This easy side dish is crispy, salty, tangy and addictively delicious. Serve with ranch dressing, fresh tomato salsa or just as-is!
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
2 pounds small red potatoes
1 ½ cup white vinegar
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons white balsamic reduction
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Rinse potatoes and place them in a large pot.
- To the pot, add vinegar, then add enough water to cover the potatoes by one inch. Add ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are very tender, but not falling apart, about 25-30 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain vinegar water off.
- Heat oven to 450 F.
- Return potatoes to pot and add butter. Gently stir to melt butter and coat potatoes.
- Brush large sheet pan with olive oil. Spread out cooked potatoes on sheet pan.
- Using the bottom of a flat measuring cup or mug, smash potatoes to ½-inch thickness.
- Roast in oven until golden brown on bottom, about 15-20 minutes, then flip potatoes and roast for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Sprinkle with chopped basil and coarse sea salt to taste. Serve warm or cold.