Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- 3 pounds potatoes, (8 medium)
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds baked ham, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
A classic in Grandma's day.
- Peel and cut potatoes into slices about 1/8 inch thick. Immediately place in cold water to cover. Melt 1/4 cup margarine in medium saucepan, blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in salt and pepper. Drain potatoes thoroughly. Layer potatoes, onions, ham and white sauce alternately in greased 3-quart casserole. Combine 1 tablespoon margarine and bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake, covered, in a preheated 325 F oven 45 minutes; uncover, bake until potatoes test done when pierced with fork (35-45 minutes longer).
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.