Sausage, Salami and Mushroom Calzone
- 1 ½ cups warm water, not hot
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 envelope Fleishmann’s Active Dry Yeast
- 3 ½ - 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, just strip leaves off of stems
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces L&B Italian sausage, turkey or pork
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 6 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano, shredded, plus some for garnish, optional
- 2 ounces dry Italian salami, diced small
- to taste black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 22- ounce container L&B Fresh Marinara Sauce, warmed
Recipe by Laurie Geisel, FoodE Expert, Lunds & Byerlys Eagan
- To make dough: In a medium bowl combine warm water, sugar and yeast. Stir gently and let sit while measuring other ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl combine 3½ cups flour and salt; stir to combine. Attach a dough hook and bowl to your mixer, add in yeast mixture and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix on low until a dough forms, if too wet add additional flour, turn to medium speed and let mixer knead dough about 5 minutes, or until dough is tacky but not sticky. Let dough rest covered in a warm place while preparing filling.
- In a large fry pan heat olive oil until simmering. Add mushrooms; cook without stirring for 1-2 minutes (this will allow them to brown and add more flavor), stir mushrooms, add thyme leaves and garlic, stir and continue to cook mushrooms another minute. Add Italian sausage to pan; stir and chop into small pieces. Cook until browned and no pink remains. Take pan off burner and let mixture cool.
- In a large bowl combine the ricotta, mozzarella, ½ cup of Pecorino, diced salami and black pepper. In a small bowl combine egg and water, stir, then add half the egg mixture to cheese mixture. Add cooled mushroom mixture to cheese mixture (can be warm, but not hot) and gently fold together, set aside.
- Heat oven to 450F and place parchment paper on two large baking sheets.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece of dough out into an 8" circle, about ¼" thick. Spoon ¼ of filling to one side of dough and flatten slightly.
- Gently fold dough in half, dampen seams with water, pinch together then crimp edges all around. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheets. Brush with remaining egg mixture and slit top with a sharp knife two times; sprinkle with grated pecorino. Bake for 20 minutes or until calzones are golden and filling is bubbling; let cool 5 minutes before cutting open. Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.
- Amount: 4 calzones
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.