- 1 pound cooked ham, ground
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (14ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 4 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 4 Eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- Drain the sauerkraut dry and snip finely with scissors. Mix the ground ham, onion, sauerkraut, 4 tablespoons bread crumbs, cream cheese, parsley, mustard and seasonings together.
- Form mixture into 3/4 inch balls. (Makes 80 - 100 balls.) Roll the balls in flour, then dip into a mixture of beaten eggs and milk; then roll in 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs. *At this point, balls can be packaged and frozen.
- Before serviang, place balls on cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees until crumbs are brown, about 15 minutes.
- If desired, serve with mustard sauce: blend 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons prepared mustard.
- Reduced Sodium: Rinse sauerkraut with water and drain. Sodium per serving will be reduced, but exact value is not available.
- Reduced Cholesterol: Use Neufchatel cheese in place of cream cheese. Use lower-fat ham. Use 1 cup Eggbeaters in place of eggs. Use skim milk. 6 mg cholesterol per serving.
- Reduced Calorie: Reduce portion size to only 2 Sauerkraut Balls. 70 calories per serving.
- Diabetic Exchange (for original recipe) 1 vegetable exchange & 1/2 meat exchange & 1 fat exchange per serving.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.