Roasted Fall Vegetables
A wonderful, rustic side dish – the perfect complement to cool fall nights!
Makes 10 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, cut into 3 x ½-inch wedges
¾ pound carrots, ends trimmed, cut into 2 x ½-inch thick chunks, or left whole
1 ½ pounds rutabagas, peeled, cut into ½-inch thick wedges
1 zucchini or summer squash, cut into rounds
1 ¼ pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), cut into 2 x ¾-inch wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup finely chopped red onion
¼ cup chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Combine butternut squash, carrots, rutabagas, summer squash and sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add oil and cayenne; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread vegetable mixture on prepared baking sheet. Roast until vegetables are tender, stirring and turning occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to bowl. Add red onion, chives and vinegar; toss to blend. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit