Rigatoni & Spicy Sausage Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 28ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 28ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
- 8 ounces rigatoni
- 2 cups (packed) fresh arugula, stemmed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add the garlic, stirring for 1 minute.
Add the sausage and cook until browned, breaking up the meat with back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
Drain the drippings from pot. Add the wine, diced tomatoes with juice, and crushed tomatoes, and then increase the heat and bring the ingredients to boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes to blend the flavors, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain.
Stir the pasta, arugula, basil, and oregano into the tomato sauce. Simmer until arugula wilts, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan.