This winning recipe from our recent Family Meals contest comes from Hallie Noeske, a FoodE Expert at our Northeast Minneapolis store. “This recipe was originally inspired by my mother who raised me on a primarily vegetarian diet,” she explains. “Forever in search of a quick and easy weeknight meal, this has been a staple with my children when we need a wholesome serving of protein and whole grains.” Her kid-friendly serving suggestion: “Serve with ketchup, mustard, salsa, marinara sauce, sour cream … be creative with your dips!”
Makes 8-10 cakes
Preparation time: 30 minutes, not including time to cook rice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (cold)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon butter, for cooking
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for cooking
Optional additions: Finely diced onions, crushed garlic, basil, oregano, chili powder or any favorite dry spices
- In medium bowl combine rice, eggs, tamari, and yeast; stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add butter and oil to coat the pan (using a combination of butter and olive oil gives the great flavor of butter while the oil keeps it from burning).
- Pour rice mixture into hot pan using a scant ¼ cup scoop. Cook until the edges start to look firm (2-3 minutes). Flip and repeat until golden in color.
- Continue cooking in batches until you run out of rice mixture. Serve with roasted vegetables or salad, if desired.