- 2 (1 pound) acorn squash, halved, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons Lunds & Byerly's Tuscan seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10oz) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1.5 cups shredded aged provolone, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Arrange squash halves cut side down in 13X9 microwavable baking dish; add ¼ cup water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, using multiple sheets if necessary. With a knife, make 4 steam vents in plastic wrap. Microwave (HIGH) until tender (15-20 minutes).
- While squash is cooking, heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté sausage, Tuscan seasoning, red pepper, onion and garlic until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender (8-10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in spinach, wild rice and 1 cup provolone.
- When squash is tender, carefully remove plastic wrap, starting from side farthest from you. Using tongs, transfer cooked squash to cutting board; discard water.
- Place a tablespoon of butter in bottoms of each squash half. Mound sausage mixture into halves. Return to 13X9 dish, cover with foil and bake in preheated 350F oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese over tops, return to oven and bake until cheese melts (5-8 minutes).
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.