- 4 cups Water
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 cup cashew halves and pieces
- Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
The citrus vinaigrette gives this salad a wonderfully refreshing taste.
- In saucepan, bring water to boil; add wheat berries. Return to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender (about 50-60 minutes), stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Drain; cool. Meanwhile, cook orzo in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain; cool. In large bowl, combine cooked wheat berries, cooked pasta, cranberries, apricots, peppers, green onions and salt. Toss with Citrus Vinaigrette. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- To Serve: Toss salad with cashews and transfer to serving bowl.
- In small bowl, whisk first 9 ingredients together. While whisking, slowly drizzle oil into vinaigrette until well blended.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.