- 6 acorn squash, top 1/2 inch cut off
- 1 cup peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium potato, peeled, cubed
- 3 shallots, peeled, quartered
- 3 large cloves garlic, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups Water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- toasted walnuts
- crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
Acorn squash bowls create a fun serving dish.
- Arrange acorn squash, cut side down on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 F oven until squash is tender (75-80 minutes). Combine next 5 ingredients in baking dish. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake in same oven until tender (40-45 minutes). In 4-quart saucepan, bring water to a boil. Dissolve bouillon cubes in water. When vegetable mixture is tender, add to saucepan. Stir in cumin and nutmeg. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, remove acorn squash from oven and turn each squash over pressing down to make them stand upright. Remove seeds from squash. Scoop out squash leaving a 1/2-inch wall. Add squash to saucepan. Puree soup in blender in 2 batches. Pour into large bowl; stir to blend. Place each acorn bowl in a soup bowl. Ladle soup into each acorn bowl. Garnish soup with toasted walnuts and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese.
- Tips: Soup may be made ahead and refrigerated up to 2 days. Reheat soup in large saucepan until heated through. Reheat acorn bowls in microwave (HIGH) until warm (30-45 seconds).
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.