Most people think of a salad as lettuce, a little shredded carrots and dressing. Not me! A good salad is satisfying and can pack so many great flavors and textures. I put all kinds of delicious ingredients in my salad, like roasted vegetables, grains, nuts, dried fruit and even top it off with a boost or two. A boost is commonly thought of as something you add to a smoothie for added nutrients, like flax meal or nutritional yeast, but boosts are fantastic on salads too.
Composed Salads: Iceburg Wedge Salad, Greek Salad, Kale Toss
Composed Salads: Spinach Salad, Romaine Hearts, Mexican Greens
When I make salad at home, I know what’s going into it and I feel good about it; that’s why I wanted to help create the same feeling in our salad bars. So the deli team and I went back to the drawing board to make sure our salad bar offerings were fresh, healthy and unique. Now you can get a salad at Lunds and Byerly’s with all kinds of new and delicious ingredients.
Lunds and Byerly’s new and improved salad bars include:
- Greens (not just lettuce), including lemon sesame kale, arugula, watercress and fresh herbs
- Whole grains and beans
- Roasted fresh vegetables , like green beans with garlic, fennel and baby herbed potatoes
- Daily composed salads ranging from iceberg wedges with blue cheese to mini butter lettuce heads filled with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes drizzled with balsamic and olive oil
- A variety of fresh raw and daily steamed vegetables
- Boosts such as flax meal, chia seeds and nutritional yeast
Top it all off with our scrumptious signature dressings, nuts and some dried fruit – delicious and nutritious!
So make your next stop at the bar be at our salad bar. I guarantee you’ll feel good about it.
Bea James, senior manager of organic, natural and sustainable programs