Pumpkin Seed Pesto and Pasta
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups raw pepitas, (green pumpkin seeds)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bunches cilantro, stems removed
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces dry pasta
- Manchego or Mahon cheese, shredded
For best flavor, prepare pesto one to two days before serving.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in large skillet over medium heat; saute pumpkin seeds until seeds begin to pop, puff, and lightly brown (3-4 minutes). Stir in garlic, saute one minute longer; remove from heat. Cool completely. Once seeds are cool, combine all ingredients except pasta and cheese in food processor; pulse until smooth. Refrigerate, covered.
- To Serve: Prepare pasta in lightly salted boiling water until al dente; drain. Heat one-half pesto in microwave (medium,50 percent power) until heated through (2-3 minutes), stirring once. Immediately spoon pasta into serving bowl, stir in pesto mixture; toss until pasta is well coated. Garnish with Manchego or Mahon cheese.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.