Pot Roast Platter
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 12 whole medium carrots, peeled
- 6 whole medium potatoes, peeled
- In large Dutch oven or heavy pan, place pot roast on bed of sliced onions. In small bowl, combine sugar, salt and pepper; sprinkle half on top of roast, turn and sprinkle other side with remainder. Add garlic, bay leaf and vinegar. Bake, covered, in a preheated 325 F oven until tender (2 1/2-3 hours). Add vegetables during the last 1 1/2 hours. Remove meat from pan; slice at a slight angle in thin slices across grain. Serve with Gravy or Horseradish Sauce.
Gravy: Juices may be thickened with mixture of 2 tablespoons flour, 4 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce.
Horseradish Sauce: In medium saucepan, combine 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup, 1/3 cup prepared horseradish, 1/4 cup milk and 1 tablespoon prepared mustard; heat thoroughly.