Pizza alla Napoletana
- 1 28- ounce can Cento San Marzano Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 bunch fresh basil, divided
- 3 tablespoons L&B Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 12- ounce L&B White Pizza Dough, room temperature
- Flour, as needed
- pinch cornmeal
- 1 8- ounce ball fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
Pizza in the style of Naples, one of the most respected and loved pizzas in the world. Naples… where pizza all began! Joan Donatelle, FoodE Expert, Lunds & Byerlys, St Louis Park, MN
- Heat oven to 500 degrees in a convection oven. Place pizza stone in oven to heat.
- Pour tomatoes into a medium mixing bowl and crush with your hand. Add salt, 6 small leaves of basil, torn, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Gently stir to combine sauce and set aside.
- Place the pizza dough ball on a lightly floured work surface. Use your fingertips to gently press down the dough to form a disc, leaving a 1-inch border all around the outside edge. Pick the dough up and place your knuckles underneath to continue to stretch and form the pizza until it is a 10-12-inch circle.
- Lightly sprinkle a pizza peel with corn meal. Place the pizza dough onto the peel.
- Spread a ladle of pizza sauce onto the dough, leaving the edge sauce-free. Place the pizza into the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the pizza and quickly sprinkle the top with a ½ cup of the mozzarella and a few small basil leaves. Place the pizza back into the oven for another minute or 2 until the cheese is just beginning to melt. Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil.
- Repeat with the second pizza dough.
- Note: If you do not have a pizza stone, preheat a sheet pan in the oven. Prepare your dough on a piece of parchment paper. When your pizza dough is ready, remove the pan from the oven and quickly place your pizza with parchment onto the pan. Follow the remaining baking instructions
- Amount: 2 personal size pizzas or 8 slices.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.