Peaches & Cream Coffee Cake
This decadent coffee cake recipe from Twin Cities food blogger greens & chocolate is a great way to enjoy sweet summer peaches for breakfast.
While I’ve planted a garden almost every year for the past 3 years that we’ve lived in our house, it’s safe to say that this is the first year I’ve actually had a real bounty of produce coming from it. My zucchini plants are going crazy, I have more cucumbers than I know what to do with and I’ve been eating more kale daily than ever. And I eat a lot of kale.
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I more than doubled my garden space. The last couple of years I’ve tried to cram too much into too little space. This year, I took out some bushes by our garage and made it into my second garden. Along with the zucchini, cucumbers and kale, I’m also growing broccoli, butternut squash, acorn squash and tomatoes. Oh, and somehow a random green bean plant was put in there. I think I meant to buy a summer squash plant and it must’ve been a green bean plant instead.
While I’ve been pretty self-sufficient when it comes to vegetables lately, fruit is a whole other story. I absolutely LOVE this time of year for buying and eating fruit. The cherries are incredible, the berries are the best and the peaches! Oh, the peaches. So juicy and sweet!
My favorite way to eat peaches for dessert is to caramelize them in butter, sugar and a little vanilla, and put them on top of ice cream. For breakfast, this Peaches & Cream Coffee Cake has my heart.
I love coffee cakes because it’s really just an excuse to eat cake for breakfast, right? They’re just as sweet and delicious as dessert cake and typically have the added bonus of a crumb topping. What’s not to love?
This Peaches & Cream Coffee Cake is definitely not your typical coffee cake. While the base of the coffee cake is fairly standard, the cake is drizzled with a cream cheese mixture and fresh peaches. Of course, I couldn’t forget the crumb topping!
I think my husband said it best when he said, “This is the best coffee cake I’ve ever had!”
Peaches & Cream Coffee Cake
Makes one 9×13 cake
Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cream Cheese Layer:
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
¼ cup white sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup buttermilk
2 large ripe peaches, peeled and sliced thinly
To make the cream cheese layer:
- Add cream cheese and sugar to a bowl. Beat until well combined with electric mixer.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Set aside.
To make the crumb topping:
Combine butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl; stir until well combined. Set aside.
To make the cake:
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Spray 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides between each addition.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts, beating until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder; stir until well combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add half of the buttermilk and beat until just combined.
- Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Pour cake batter into prepared baking dish.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake batter with a spatula.
- Place sliced peaches in a single layer on top of cream cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until crumb topping is golden and cake is baked through.