Pea, Lentil or Bean Soup
- 1 package dried split peas, 1 pound
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 smoked ham shank or ham bone
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory, crumbled
- Salt, (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
A hearty high protein soup.
- Pick over and rinse peas; combine all ingredients in kettle. Cover; simmer stirring occasionally, until thickened (2-3 hours). Remove bay leaf, cloves, ham shank or bone. Cut meat off bone, return to soup. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat and serve.
STRONG>Lentil Soup: 1 pound dried lentils may be substituted for split peas. Simmer 2 hours.
Bean Soup: 1 pound dried pinto, pink, lima or white beans may be substituted for split peas. Pick over beans, rinse and soak in 2 quarts cold water ovenight (or bring to a boil, cook 2 minutes and let stand 1 hour.) Drain. Proceed as in recipe above, simmering until beans have tender skins and are mealy inside (2-3 hours).
Tip: For soups with a thinner consistency, add one cup additional chicken broth.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.