6 years ago
PB&J Sandwich Cookies
These sweet and salty cookies taste just like your favorite PB&J sandwich!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing baking sheets
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup fruit jam or jelly
- Use an electric mixer to cream together butter, sugar and peanut butter.
- Add egg and beat until well blended.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, adding a little milk as necessary to make dough just soft enough to handle.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Shape dough into a log about 1 ½ inches in diameter; wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days (or wrap well and freeze).
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Lightly grease 1 or 2 baking sheets.
- Cut slices about ⅛-inch thick from chilled or frozen log.
- Bake until edges are lightly brown and center is set, 6-10 minutes.
- Cool for about 2 minutes on sheets before using a spatula to transfer cookies to a rack to finish cooling.
- Sandwich flat sides of two cookies together with a heaping teaspoonful of jam; repeat using all cookies.
Recipe source: New York Times