Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 (35 ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 7 cup 1/3 less sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
Substitute vegetable broth for chicken to create a vegetarian soup.
- Place dried porcini mushrooms in small bowl; pour boiling water over mushrooms. Let stand 20 minutes; strian liquid through coffee filter and reserve. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute leeks, carrots, celery and garlic in oil until onions are translucent (about 3-5 minutes). Add rehydrated porcini, shiitake and baby bella mushrooms. Continue sauteing until mushrooms have softened (about 5 minutes). Add broth, reserved mushroom liquid, barley, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add thyme and rosemary and continue simmering for 5 minutes longer.
- Tip: Leftover soup may be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month. Reheat soup in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat until soup reaches 165 F.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.