Mozzarella-Stuffed Grilled Portabellos with Balsamic Marinade
Made on the grill, these cheesy, crispy portabellos are the perfect warm-weather meal.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
6 large portabello mushrooms, stemmed
1 ½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 5 ounces)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
¼ cup chopped green onions
1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted
- Whisk oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 garlic clove in small bowl for marinade.
- Using spoon, scrape out gills from mushrooms and place mushrooms on rimmed baking sheet.
- Brush marinade over both sides of mushrooms, arrange hollow side up and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill (medium heat).
- Mix panko, next 5 ingredients and remaining 2 garlic cloves in medium bowl.
- Drizzle butter and remaining teaspoon balsamic vinegar over panko mixture and toss.
- Divide panko mixture among mushrooms, leaving ½-inch border around edges and packing down slightly.
- Place mushrooms on grill, stuffing side up; cover grill and cook until cheese melts and juices bubble at edges of mushrooms, rearranging mushrooms occasionally for even cooking (do not turn over), about 6 minutes.
Recipe source: Epicurious