Mixed Berry Dump Cake
When we first learned about dump recipes, we did a double take. What IS a dump cake? A terrible tasting dessert that should immediately be dumped in the trash? Au contraire! The name refers to simplicity — all you need to do is dump in the ingredients and turn on the oven. Oh, should all baking be so easy!
Our Mixed Berry Dump Cake is delicious and perfect for summer. The streamlined prep means you can get back outside and soak up the summer sun sooner. Flavor-wise, it reminds us of a seasonal pie, with sweet-tart berries, a touch of lemon and a cakey, crumbly layer on top. But what really makes it summer-worthy is how well it pairs with ice cream. Don’t dig into this delightful dessert without a scoop (or three) of sweet vanilla ice cream. It’s a match made in heaven.
6 to 8 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
1 ½ cups hulled and quartered strawberries
1 ½ cups blueberries
¾ cup blackberries
¾ cup raspberries
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 box vanilla cake mix
½ cup unsalted butter, diced
1 pint vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the berries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla. Toss to coat the berries.
- Pour the berries and their juices into the prepared baking dish, evenly spread the dry cake mix over the fruit and scatter the diced butter on top. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake until the top is puffed and golden and the fruit is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, scoop the cake into bowls and serve with vanilla ice cream. The cake can be covered with plastic wrap and stored in a dry, cool place for up to 3 days.
Recipe adapted from: Food Network