Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Mint chocolate chip is a classic ice cream combination and this simple recipe lets you make your own. The flavors are bolder and brighter in the DIY version — it’s just fresh mint leaves, semi-sweet chocolate chips and ultra-creamy custard.
Yield: 1 ½ quarts
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Rest time: 7 ½ hours
1 cup L&B Classic Whole Milk
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream, divided
2 cups packed mint leaves
Yolks from 5 L&B Large Organic Brown Eggs
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil
Special equipment: Ice cream machine
- Place the base of an ice cream machine in the freezer for a minimum of 24 hours before churning the custard.
- To make the custard: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, sugar, a pinch of salt and 1 cup of the heavy cream. Warm over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the mint leaves until submerged, cover and steep for 1 ½ hours at room temperature.
- Use a small sieve to scoop the mint leaves out of the cream, pressing the mint with the back of a spoon to return all of the liquid to the pot. Discard the mint and set the cream aside.
- Fill a large bowl ¼ of the way with ice and then cover it with water. Place a medium bowl in the ice bath, add the remaining 1 cup heavy cream and place a sieve on top. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Reheat the mint-infused cream over medium heat until steaming, about 7 minutes. Slowly pour the hot cream into the yolks while whisking until combined.
- Scrape the custard back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot continuously, until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes. Immediately strain the custard into the bowl on the ice.
- Stir over ice until lukewarm, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a sealable container and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- To make the ice cream: Pour the chilled custard into the base of the ice cream machine and churn until thick and smooth, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and oil. Microwave in 20-second intervals until the chocolate is ¾ of the way melted. Stir until completely melted.
- Drizzle the chocolate into the ice cream while churning, until the ice cream is quite thick and the chocolate is frozen, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the ice cream in an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 6 hours. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: “The Perfect Scoop” by David Lebovitz