Mexican Chicken Lasagna
This cozy, cheesy casserole from Twin Cities food blogger greens & chocolate comes together in minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights!
Winter may be slowly coming to an end, but I’m not ready for the casserole season to be over. There’s just something about a zero-degree day that calls for a warm, cheesy casserole. It’s just not what I crave on a 50-degree spring day. So, I’m going to embrace the winter for another month (or two? Three?) and make all the casseroles I can, starting with this Salsa Verde Mexican Chicken Lasagna!
This recipe is proof, once again, that sometimes the simpler, the better! It’s basic corn tortillas layered with a mixture of shredded chicken, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, salsa verde and cheese, baked to golden perfection. I had considered making a homemade cream sauce in addition to the creamy salsa verde chicken mixture, but I really wanted to see if it would still be good without that extra step. Because on a busy weeknight, who needs that extra step? No one! As it turns out, this Salsa Verde Mexican Chicken Lasagna didn’t need that cream sauce at all!
I also made this recipe in a smaller baking dish than the typical 9×13 pan, making it more a more realistic portion for a 2-4 person family. I feel like whenever I make a 9×13 pan of something, there are always way too many leftovers. If you happen to need to feed a larger group, this recipe can easily be doubled and made in a 9×13 baking dish! If you want to stretch this recipe out a little and serve it to six people, just make a big salad to go along with it.
Salsa Verde Mexican Chicken Lasagna
Makes 4 large servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
2 large chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
1 cup salsa verde
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
12 corn tortillas
1 jalapeño, sliced, for topping
Cilantro, for topping
Additional plain Greek yogurt, for topping
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Spray 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, salsa verde, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, cumin and salt; mix until well combined.
- Place 3 corn tortillas on bottom of baking dish. I like to place two, slightly overlapping, then cut the third one into quarters and place the square edge at each corner of the baking dish. This way, the corners of the lasagna have tortillas in them.
- Spread ⅓ of the chicken mixture on top of the tortilla, and top with ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Continue with tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese until there are 3 layers. Place remaining cheese on top of casserole.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes, until bubbling and cheese is golden.
- Serve topped with jalapeños, cilantro and an additional dollop of Greek yogurt. Enjoy!