Seared Scallops with Lemony Salsa Verde
Perfectly seared scallops topped with a bright, flavorful herb sauce.
2-4 servings, makes about 1 cup of salsa
Preparation time: 20 minutes
For the scallops:
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces dry large sea scallops
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the salsa verde:
- ½ lemon (with peel), seeded, chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- ¾ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ chopped fresh chives
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
1. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil. Once hot, add the scallops in a single layer. Season them with salt and pepper and let them sear until brown and crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn the scallops and sear the second side until brown and crisp, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and place scallops on a warmed plate.
2. Combine lemon, shallot and garlic in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Let sit 5 minutes. Stir in oil, parsley, cilantro and chives. Season with additional salt, pepper and lemon juice, if desired.
3. Spoon salsa over scallops and serve.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit