Make It Tonight GRILLED STEAK WITH BLACKBERRY GASTRIQUE
Grilled New York Strip Steak with Blackberry
This impressive steak recipe features a flavorful reduction of vinegar and honey infused with fresh blackberries. Tip: Don’t want to heat up the grill? Follow these steps to make a perfectly seared steak using a cast iron skillet.
Preparation time: 35 minutes plus 1 hour chilling time
- 2 (10-ounce) Grass Fed New York Strip Steaks, boneless (1 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons Lunds & Byerlys Minnesota Steak Seasoning
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup white organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ cups fresh organic blackberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Season both sides of the steaks with steak seasoning and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill
for 1 hour.
- Heat grill to high. While grill is heating, make the gastrique. Place the honey in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until it turns dark amber in color, about 3 to 5 minutes. Honey will froth and bubble so be careful not to let it boil over. Add the vinegar and 1 cup blackberries and continue cooking on medium-low to low heat until the mixture has reduced to a
syrupy consistency, about 12 minutes.
- Put gastrique through a fine mesh strainer, mashing berries with a spoon to strain out the blackberry seeds and press as much of the berries through the sieve as possible. Discard seeds.
- Place the steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3 to 4 minutes for medium-rare (an internal temperature of 135 F), 4 to 6 minutes for medium (140 F) or 7 to 9 minutes for medium-well (150 F).
- Remove steaks from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Divide gastrique between steaks and drizzle across the top of each steak. Garnish with remaining berries and chopped parsley.