Beer Cheese Soup
Now you can make this customer favorite at home! Garnish with popcorn, croutons, minced parsley, chives, minced green onion or crumbled crisp bacon.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
½ cup minced onion
½ cup butter
⅔ cup flour
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
10 ½ ounces chicken broth
4 cups milk
12 ounces beer (use anything you would drink)
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In large pot on medium heat, cook onion in butter until soft.
- Gradually blend in flour, stirring constantly.
- Add seasonings and stir to incorporate.
- Gradually stir in broth, milk and beer.
- Cook over medium heat; stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue stirring occasionally until soup thickens.
- For a smooth and creamy soup, blend with an immersion blender (or blend in batches in a regular blender).
- Add cheese and stir until melted and creamy.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, such as popcorn and chives.