- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped in ½-inch dice
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 6 cups seafood stock (or cold water)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 pounds lobster, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2-3 cans evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup milk or cream, if necessary
In a large pot over low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion, stir and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes and 6 cups stock or water and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 minutes, until potatoes begin to soften.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add about a third of the lobster and sauté for about a minute. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining lobster and butter.
Add lobster to onion and potato mixture; stir over medium heat. Add canned milk and basil, taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper. If mixture is too thick, add milk or cream. Serve.