Loaded Breakfast Quesadilla
If we were evaluating this loaded quesadilla on a set of criteria, like a figure skating judge at the Olympics, and one of the categories was “trueness to self” — or how good this loaded quesadilla is at being a loaded quesadilla — we’d give it a 12 out of 10.
This quesadilla is loaded.
It has a mix of creamy eggs, crispy chorizo, rich avocado, salty hash browns and crunchy veggies, so each bite is big and satisfying. All that filling is surrounded by two thin layers of melty cheese and a crispy tortilla, creating a perfect ratio of filling to tortilla.
Make yourself a feast-for-one this weekend, or scale this recipe up to feed a family, brunch crowd or new significant other.
Makes 1 quesadilla
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
½ cup frozen diced hash browns
4 ounces ground chorizo
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 10-inch flour tortilla
½ cup shredded Oaxaca cheese
2 tablespoons salsa, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons diced avocado
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons sliced scallions
Lime wedges, for serving
Sour cream, for serving
- In a nonstick pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the hash browns, season with a pinch of salt and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a plate lined with a paper towel. Carefully wipe out the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook the chorizo until crispy, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 7 minutes. Transfer the cooked chorizo to the plate with the hash browns. Carefully wipe out the pan.
- Whisk the eggs together and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Return the pan to medium heat and melt the butter; then pour in the eggs.
- Lightly scramble the eggs and then let settle in a thin layer covering the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. When it begins to melt, place a tortilla on top, allowing it to stick to the cheese. Flip the whole thing over.
- Sprinkle the Oaxaca cheese evenly over the egg. On one half of the quesadilla, add the chorizo, hash browns, salsa, avocado, cilantro and scallions.
- Fold the side without the filling over, creating a half circle, and press down with a spatula.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 4 equal pieces. Serve hot with lime wedges and sour cream and salsa for dipping.