From our original The Best of Byerly’s cookbook! Lemon peel adds a fresh taste to these crispy, puffy popovers. Delicious served with your favorite entrée or salad.
Makes 10-12 popovers
Preparation time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 cups flour
2 cups milk
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
Optional: 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Generously grease 10-12 (6-ounce) custard cups or popover pans. Heat oven to 425 F.
- Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor; process until thoroughly blended.
- Fill greased custard cups ½ inch from the top of each well. (Can stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour.)
- Bake popovers 20 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake 25-30 minutes longer.
- With a bamboo skewer, poke hole in side of each popover; bake 5-10 minutes longer.