Delicious sweet-tart bars sprinkled with just a touch of powdered sugar. A classic spring and summer dessert!
Makes 36-48 bars
Preparation time: 50 minutes
2 cups flour
½ cup powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Combine 2 cups flour and ½ cup powdered sugar in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or fork) to make fine crumbs.
- Press mixture into a 9×13-inch baking pan, pressing ½ inch up the sides.
- Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes, until just golden brown at edges.
- For filling, mix sugar, ¼ cup flour and baking powder; add lemon juice, lemon zest and eggs. Pour mixture over hot crust. Bake 20 additional minutes at 350 F. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Cut into bars.