Lemon Bar Cookies
Dusted with confectioners sugar, these soft, chewy cookies are like a tart lemon curd or lemon bar in cookie form. For a different citrus tang, make them with lime or even grapefruit instead.
Makes 4 dozen cookies
Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup instant lemon pudding Mix (powder)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 pound cream cheese
2 sticks unsalted butter
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3 tablespoons lemon zest
¼ cup lemon juice
Confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) for rolling and dusting
- In a bowl combine flour, lemon pudding mix, baking powder and salt. Mix together with a whisk.
- Using your electric mixer or beaters, beat together cream cheese, butter, sugar, extract and zest.
- Add eggs one at a time to butter mixture.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture, beating on slow until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 350 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out 1-inch rounds and roll them in a bowl of confectioners sugar. (Note: Dough will be sticky.)
- Place on cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie dough ball.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are just barely browned.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then finish cooling completely on cooling rack.
Recipe source: The Seaside Baker