Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake
Our friend greens and chocolate has parlayed her love of almond and lemon into a heavenly ricotta cake that’s rich and dense — yet also amazingly light. It’s the perfect spring dessert.
The flavor combination of lemon and almond is one of my favorites, and I start craving it during the spring months. Obviously, lemon baked goods are popular around spring and Easter, and this year I have a new favorite lemon dessert: Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake. The addition of almond extract makes it truly irresistible.
This lemon cake has all of the usual ingredients in a cake — flour, butter and sugar — but one distinct ingredient that is unique. The star ingredient is ricotta cheese.
If you’ve never added ricotta to a cake, you are definitely missing out! It somehow makes this cake light but not fluffy. It’s amazingly rich and moist, but not dense or heavy. This makes it perfect for a brunch dessert or just a lighter option after dinner.
Of course, another highlight of this cake is the addition of 2 tablespoons of lemon zest, which gives the cake its lemon flavor. I love adding lemon zest to baked goods to really highlight the fresh flavor of lemon.
Another selling point to this cake? It can all be made in one bowl! I love a simple dessert that still impresses, and this Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake is just that. It’s simple enough for any novice baker to make, but it tastes like a seasoned cook made it.
I topped this ricotta cake with a lemon glaze frosting and some fresh raspberries. I loved how simple yet flavorful it was. It would also be great with whipped cream and fresh strawberries!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 8 to 10
For the cake:
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest, from about 1 ½ lemons
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 ½ cups (15 ounces) whole milk ricotta
1 ⅓ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
Fresh raspberries, for topping
For the glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper, and then spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest and beat to combine.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the edges of the bowl after each addition.
- Add the almond extract and ricotta and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, mixing in with the wet ingredients until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until slightly golden and a toothpick comes out of the middle clean. Let cool.
- Once the cake is cool, prepare the glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk until combined.
- Pour the glaze over the cake.
- Serve topped with fresh raspberries and enjoy!