3 years ago
Hot Cocoa Cookies
These gooey chocolate cookies from Martha Stewart have a surprise in the middle!
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat your oven to 375 F. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a tablespoon or 1 ¾-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 8 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begin to melt, 2 to 2 ½ minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: Place confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl and whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
Amount: About 2 dozen
Recipe source: Martha Stewart