Honey-Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Tender roasted Brussels sprouts tossed in a spicy, savory honey glaze and topped with a sprinkle of lemon zest.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
1 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup honey
⅓ cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Place a rimmed baking sheet on the bottom rack of your oven; heat oven to 450 F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts and oil in a large bowl; season with salt and black pepper.
- Carefully remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, arrange Brussels sprouts cut-side down on the baking sheet. Roast on bottom rack until softened and deeply browned, 20–25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring honey to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until honey is a deep amber color but not burnt (it will be foamy; that’s okay), 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add vinegar and red pepper flakes, if using, and whisk until sauce is smooth (it will bubble up quite aggressively when you add the vinegar before settling).
- Return saucepan to medium heat, add butter and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, whisking constantly, until glaze is glossy, bubbling and slightly thickened, 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer Brussels sprouts to a large bowl. Add glaze and scallions and toss to combine. Transfer to a platter and top with lemon zest.
Recipe source: Bon Appétit