A delightful twist on baked potatoes! Serve this crispy, satisfying side dish with all your favorite potato toppings.
Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes
4 Yukon Gold potatoes
4 tablespoons butter, melted
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup cheddar cheese
¼ cup bacon, cooked and crumbled, plus more as a garnish
Chives, as a garnish
Sour cream, as a garnish
- Heat oven to 425 F.
- Place chopsticks on either side of the potato to use as a cutting guide (so the knife doesn’t go all the way through to the bottom of the potato) and to keep the potato in place.
- Make even slices all the way across the potato, making sure you don’t cut all the way through. Keeping the bottom of the potato intact helps it stay together while cooking.
- Brush potato with melted butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 30 minutes; remove from oven and brush with more melted butter to fill the cracks.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fill cracks with cheese and crumbled bacon. Return to oven and bake 5-10 minutes more, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Garnish with more bacon, fresh chives and sour cream.