Harvest Wild Rice with Hazelnuts and Mushrooms
Servings:*6 1/2 cup servings
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 package hazelnuts, toasted, 2 ounce
A flavorful accompaniment for any meal.
- Rinse wild rice in strainer under running water or bowl of water; drain. In heavy saucepan, bring wild rice, chicken broth and salt to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until kernels are open and tender but not mushy (45-55 minutes). Drain. In small skillet, over medium heat, melt butter. Saute mushrooms and shallots until tender (5-6 minutes). Stir mushroom mixture and toasted hazelnuts into wild rice.
- Hazelnuts: To toast hazelnuts, heat oven to 275 F. Spread nuts in single layer in a shallow pan. Toast until skins crack (20-30 minutes). To remove skins, rub nuts while warm with a rough cloth (some skins will remain.)
Tip: Rice may be made ahead. Place in microwavable container, cover; microwave (HIGH) until heated through (4-5 minutes), stirring once.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.